4 years in sketchbooks
I printed out different font sizes to see what is legible. I intend the text to be subtle, not to overpower the design and colours. Preferably it enhances the design of the bowl and the information is easily understood.
First I set up the spaces between the circles on the plate.
Tried to see if I could use paper to print but the cup’s walls aren’t even.
Tried to create a line with masking tape but again, the surface isn’t straight and the lining bends.
Finally I used a trammel. It is a tool that can scratch into a hard surface like stone, or ceramics. This way I had a constant and even base for my painting guides.
I mixed paint to create shades of colours.
I also borrowed a potter’s wheel from the Ceramics department. But even this didn’t make it much easier.
I tried to spray paint it with masking tape but it didn’t turn out well.
Even for circles, the masking tape didn’t improve the outcome.
So I painted them by eye and hand.
The colours were too intense.
Repainted it but the quality wasn’t the best. So today I repainted it once more and this time I’m happy with the outcome. Pictures soon to follow…
I then went on to photograph my crockery individually and put ideas into visuals digitally, to see what works and what doesn’t.
Tried to make sense of colours, differentiating them well enough but keeping it basic. This was my first attempt.
Found this beautiful cake stand on Brick Lane. I’m definitely going to use this for my display. Cakes on top, sandwiches on the bottom!